In 4 Training provides handcuff training specifically for the security industry. This unit of competency specifies the outcomes required to determine when to use handcuffs to restrain a person.
It requires the ability to make sound judgements on the necessity of using handcuffs and the correct procedures for applying handcuffs safely and securely. It also requires knowledge of the procedures for conducting an arrest.
This unit may form part of the licensing and legal requirements for the use of handcuffs and tactical force procedures by persons working in the security industry in those states and territories where these are regulated activities.
- Security Officer – Patrols
- Security Officer – Guard
It is recommended that you have completed a minimum of Year 10 schooling or equivalent and have a good level of English reading and writing skills.
The candidate must provide evidence of the following
- A current class 1 Qld Security Licence with unarmed and crowd control functions OR
- Certificate II in Security Operations CPP20218 and
- Certificate with CPPSEC3101 – Manage conflict and security risks using negotiation
- Certificate with CPPSEC3103 – Determine and implement response to security risk situation
- Certificate with CPPSEC3102 – Maintain operational safety and security of work environment
- Certificate with CPPSEC3121 – Control persons using empty hand techniques AND
- A current HLTAID011 Provide First Aid certificate
These criteria are offered as a guideline for candidates to participate in the handcuff course. The final responsibility regarding the ability to participate in course rests with the candidate.
- Average fitness level and can stand for extended periods. (more than 40 minutes)
- Adopt various positions safely and be able to rise unassisted whilst still maintaining control of the baton.
- Transition to the kneel on both or either knee and be able to raise unassisted
- Lie in a prone position and rise unassisted
- Have adequate hand and finger dexterity to safely and effectively manipulate baton
- Have adequate grip strength to control baton during striking and retention
- Have adequate finger strength to keep baton in closed mode
- Have sufficient eyesight to visually discriminate between friend/foe targets at close distances (corrective lenses permitted)
- Ability to hear commands whilst using baton
- Ability to give verbal commands clearly
In 4 Training deliver this course face to face in 1 day. This course is a competency-based program, so mere attendance is no guarantee of certification.
You will need to ensure that you have all the pre requisites prior to starting this course as you will need to provide evidence that it has been completed. If you are not sure about this please give our office a call 4987 7188.
This course has a combination of theory and practicals conducted through practical training, scenarios, role plays and group discussions. The theory training and assessment is supported with self paced assessment work book.
You shall have evidence to support the pre requisites prior to the commencement of this unit of competency.
If you need further clarification please give our office a call 4987 7188.
- CPPSEC3111 – Restrain Persons using Handcuffs
Handcuff types may include:
- Rigid bar
For Security Officers in Qld who hold a current Class 1 Security Providers Licence, there is no requirement for to hold a weapons licence to purchase and be in possession of handcuffs while your Qld Class 1 Security Providers Licence is still current.
Refer to the weapons licensing Weapons Licensing | QPS (police.qld.gov.au) for further information.
Some suggested pathways to further your career in the security industry.
- Cash In Transit
- Control Security Risk Situations using Firearms CPPSEC3114
If you are caring a baton as part of your security duties. In 4 Training recommends that Officers undergo baton refresher training no more than 12 months.
In 4 Training provides annual firearm refresher training for security officers.
As licensed security providers we are also required to maintain a current First Aid certificate.