Participants will enhance their skills and knowledge required to provide a first aid response to infants,
children and adults.
The unit applies to educators and support staff working within an education and care setting
who are required to respond to a first aid emergency, including asthmatic and anaphylactic
This unit of competency describes the skills and knowledge required to provide the following, until the arrival of medical or other assistance:
- First aid response
- Apply appropriate emergency first aid procedures
Those required to have this training as part of their employment and have the necessary equipment available; those wanting to gain additional skills which may help toward future employment; those prepared to utilize their skills, knowledge and equipment where available.
- Education support staff
- Any one who works with children
It is recommended that you have completed a minimum of Year 10 or equivalent and have a good level of English reading and writing skills.
Be able to kneel on floor to perform practical demonstration of CPR on a manikin.
- This course has a combination of theory and practical
- Full course: 1 x 8 hour day face-to-face training
- Emerald (minimum of 3 candidates)
- Your workplace (minimum of 5 candidates)
- HLTAID012 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting.
This unit of competency may contribute towards approved first aid, asthma and anaphylaxis
training under the Education and Care Services National Law, and the Education and Care
Services National Regulations (2011).
Specific licensing requirements, including requirements for refresher training, should be
obtained from the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA)
and/or relevant state/territory Work Health and Safety Regulatory Authority.
- Apply advanced first aid HLTAID014
- Current industry standards state this course must be updated every 3 years
- Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation HLTAID001 certification must be updated every 12 months.
We look forward to seeing you on your next refresher.